Copyright 2013 The Friends of The Forfar Botanists
George Don Memorial
East and Old Churchyard, East High Street, Forfar
The Don Memorial was erected almost one hundred years after George Don’s death. John Knox, a schoolmaster, and the Forfar Field Club, felt there should be a lasting memorial to Don’s achievements. The botanical community of the UK along with local people donated to the cause. The monument, made of blue Aberdeen marble, standing 17 feet high was unveiled on the 8th September 1910. The inscription relates his many achievements. The unveiling of the monument was recorded in the Glasgow Herald on 12th September 1910.
Another hundred years and the memorial was in need of some repair. We decided we should bring the memorial back to its original condition.
A local company has been employed to repair the inscription and remove the algae build up. The area around the memorial has been planted with Scottish native plants supplied by the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh.
The George Don Memorial
The inscription has been repaired and painted
Scottish Natives planted