Copyright 2013 The Friends of The Forfar Botanists
Botanic Cottage, Edinburgh
The Botanic Cottage was built in 1764 at the entrance to the Botanic Garden in Edinburgh, then situated in Leith Walk. The Cottage was used as accommodation for the Head Gardener and his family, as well as having a lecture theatre on the first floor.
George Don senior, his wife and family would have lived in the Cottage during his time working there (1802 to 1806).
By 2008, the cottage was due for demolition. A Trust was formed and a rescue plan put in place which involved the cottage being dismantled stone by stone and being stored until funds could be raised to rebuild. A site for the rebuild has now been identified within the current Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh.
In August 2012, the management of the project to rebuild the cottage was transferred to the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh. The has its own web site and is currently .
The original design of the Botanic Cottage